Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Body

I went to my church in San Diego today for the first time in about six months. I've never really gotten to know anyone there since I am in SD so infrequently, but I love this church a lot. Every time I go I'm newly amazed at how strongly I feel and see God though I'm away from friends, a home church, and a supportive community.

I went a few minutes early this evening and sat in the parking lot in my car, not in the best of moods. I hate being the perpetual new person at this church since I've never really gotten to know anyone. I prayed really briefly but strongly, "God, I need to feel welcomed tonight. I need to feel the church really and actually be the church for me tonight." Then I rushed out of the car because I thought I saw someone I knew- turned out it wasn' them.

I was confused when the main sanctuary was closed, but saw the fellowship hall open instead. I went in, and the room was set up with round dinner tables, chairs, and a cup of wine and loaf of bread on each table. I didn't see anyone I knew so I stood awkwardly near the side twirling my hair and hoping someone would come talk to me. It is strange, that even though I am in church and Christian settings all the time, I still feel intimidated and awkward and shy as the new person.

The assistant pastor, Josh, whom I had met before, came over and talked to me briefly, asked about how IV was going, and introduced me to a couple who then asked if I wanted to join them at a table. Josh said that the first Sunday of the month they have been setting up the room with these dinner tables and chairs in order for a more family-like atmosphere. We were to listen to the sermon, worship, serve communion to one another around the table, and then enjoy a pot-luck dinner together. Even before sitting down I could tell God was answering my prayer....it doesn't get anymore welcoming and community-church like then that.

Before the service began, another couple came to sit at the our table, Ramiro and Wendy. After a few minutes of conversation, I discovered that they were the IV staff for UCSD and Cal State San Marcos. We talked and clicked immediatly, and that feeing of being the new person no one knows felt a couple light years away.

Worship was great. The sermon was the second half of Mark 1. We talked about leadership, and how it is leaders are called to commit, risk, and follow together, and never alone. And that leadership is not defined only by what you do, but by what you have left behind in order to pursue that leadership. I was struck by Peter, still called Simon in Mark 1, and how chances are that never in a million years he would have imagined himself as the Peter of Acts 2.

Service came to a close and it was time for communion. We passed the bread and wine around the table, saying to one another "the body of Christ, broken for you," and "the blood of Christ, shed for you." It was really powerful to say those words and to have them said to me in such an intimate setting yet among people I didn't know at all. I was not just partaking of the body of Christ, but was in it as well.

I couldn't stay for the pot-luck because mom wanted me home for dinner. I left feeling so uplifted and amazed at how perfectly and immediatly God had answered my prayer in the car before church.

No comments: