Wednesday, August 12, 2009

transition, transition

Clearly my lack of posting indicates that med school is A LOT OF WORK. Not to mention I still don't have internet at my appartment (which makes me very productive at home!)

On Jonathan and I's first Sunday in DC, the church we went to used this quote in the sermon:

"My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope that I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road, though I may know nothing about it. Therefore I will trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone."
-Thomas Merton. "Thoughts in Solitude

That pretty well describes the transition process to DC.

I'm getting to know people and places more by now, and feel some connection to life here. I've been reading through the story of the Israelites leaving Egypt and journeying through the desert for many, many years. I'm struck by how often they needed to be reminded of who God is (LORD), that God IS (I AM), and who they are (God's people). Transtions expose all kinds of fears and doubts, but this is the comfort we're given. God is. God is God. We are God's.

"Is the LORD's hand shortened? Now you shall see whether my word will come true for you or not." -Numbers 11:23

1 comment:

laurabeth said...

transition helps us see more clearly the contours of God's image. shakes away all that dust that built up in our comfort. <3