Saturday, November 28, 2009

Built to Last

I am in the midst of studying for my anatomy exams, so this is just a quick thought.

When I buy something, say, a piece of furniture, or electric appliance, or article of clothing, I always hear my mom's voice in the back of my head, "you get what you pay for." And behind that little saying is the implication that things don't last forever. Applicances break, furniture gets shabby, and clothing wears thin. Sure, we can take good care of our belongings and they last longer, but very rarely do we buy something with the intention of keeping it in tact and working for the rest of our life.

As I've studied anatomy, one thing I have found so amazing about the body is that it is really built to last. Of course, we age, things go wrong, and we die, so still the physical body has its limits. (and yes, it really matters that the physical body as we know it on earth has limits, but that is a whole different topic) But in comparison to the vast majority of possessions we have, the body really is built to last a long time. What else do we use every day with so much stress that lasts for so long? It is amazing to take apart the body and see all of the tiny ligaments, tendons, joints, and muscles that hold us together. Every movement our body makes, from a long run to the slightest twitch in our sleep, relies on the fact that all these body parts are put together properly, and are doing what they are supposed to do. Individually, each of these parts are so delicate and vulnerable. I can squeeze two vertebrae in my hand with enough force to cause life-long pain in a person, but when they are inserted into the vertebral column, with all of its protections and connections, they are one of the sturdiest parts of our skeletal system. And aside from surgery, we don't really revamp our body the way we would refurbish a computer or load batteries into a flashlight. It comes with the machinery to do that itself.

Pretty cool :)

No comments: